It’s crunch time and there’s so much at stake and so much to do before the November 8th midterm elections. Last week’s Back from the Brink webinar All in: Preventing Nuclear War Means Defending Democracy laid bare what’s on the line — while giving us all concrete ideas for how to get involved to defend our elections and democracy and inform, empower and mobilize voters.
Back from the Brink is committed to doing our part and invites you to participate in a series of one-hour Action Hours to be held on three successive Wednesday evenings at 7pm ET starting October 12.
Can we count you in? Register Today! Attend as many as you can. Your registration will work for all three of the Action Hours.
Why Action Hours? Community, Information and Some Fun
We know that many forms of activism can be intimidating – particularly when it involves connecting with other voters. We also know that it feels better and easier to act when you’re doing it with others. Our Action Hours will serve as a dedicated online space for folks to come together and take action – and feel a sense of community while doing it.
During each Action Hour participants will have the option of going into subject specific break-out rooms. We’ll have one recommended action each Wednesday, but ultimately will leave it up to you to decide how you want to spend your time – be it letter writing, text banking, or reaching out to local or national organizations you might volunteer for. We’ll have folks on hand to answer questions, suggest resources, and refer you to groups on the front lines of these fights.
October 12 session – Vote Forward Letter Writing
For our first Action Hour on October 12 our recommended action is to participate in writing letters to low propensity voters as part of the successful Vote Forward initiative. The task is easy — you choose how many letters you want to write (and mail by October 29) and which state(s) you want to focus on. Create a Vote Forward account today in order to be ready to join in this activity. Once you’ve signed up, they’ll send you the names and addresses of the voters and a template letter which you are asked to add to with your own non-partisan reasons why voting is so important to you. It’s that easy — and impactful.
There will be a break-out room for those interested in this effort as well as one for those who want to focus on promoting congressional leadership on nuclear weapons abolition and H Res 1185, the congressional Back from the Brink resolution introduced by Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA).
Can’t Make the Action Hours? Looking for More Ways to Get Involved?
Whether or not you can join our Action Hours, there are many ways that you can get involved between now and November 8 and beyond. Please consider the following:
- Poor People’s Campaign Find and work with a state PPC chapter or sign up for an upcoming PPC text bank which has a goal of reaching 5 million poor and low income voters before election day.
- Volunteer with VoteRiders Provide voters with ID information & assistance
- Election Protection Volunteer for Common Cause’s Election Protection Program
- Power the Polls Volunteer to be a poll worker
- Vote Forward Write letters to low propensity voters
- Write, call or send a social media post to your U.S. House Representative encouraging them to co-sponsor H Res 1185, Rep. McGovern’s Back from the Brink resolution.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper highlighting the urgent need to defuse nuclear tensions in Ukraine and for President Biden and U.S. policy makers to commit to real action toward a world free of nuclear weapons before catastrophe strikes.